I really do make things other than desserts. I know you won’t believe me if you’ve only been following my blog recently. For some reason, I have been exclusively posting these decadent treats. But I think you’ll thank me for this one!
We were baking bread today and one of my tricks is to bake something while the bread is rising in order to provide heat for the rising process without wasting a hot, empty oven. My kids decided cookies were the perfect thing to bake, but I was out of baking powder. How in the world does that happen? Anyway, I wanted to have a recipe that only used baking soda and I really wanted to utilize oatmeal. After a short trip on Pinterest, I found a recipe that my kids could easily make. They decided to change it up and this is what they came up with!
Chocolate Chip and Toffee Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat and set aside.
- Melt butter and let cool until room temperature.
- In a stand mixer, beat sugar and cooled, melted butter for several minutes until creamy. Mix in eggs and vanilla and beat for another minute. In a separate bowl comine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and oats. Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients and beat until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and toffee bits.
- Place one inch balls of dough on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper or Silpat and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes, then move cookies to cooling rack.