Apple Steel Cut Oats
- 1 cups steel cut oats
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups peeled, diced apple
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Dash nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- Toast steel cut oats (optional). I put my oats in the pan and turn the heat to medium. I toss them around until they start to smell nutty. It's sort of like toasting nuts to bring out a different flavor. This is not necessary, but I think it adds a deeper flavor
- Add all the other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and cook for about 15 minutes, or until steel cut oats are tender. I find that they are a bit chewier this way than when I cook them in the crockpot. You could throw all this into a crockpot and turn on low overnight if you'd like to eat immediately in the morning.
- Top with brown sugar or stevia, chopped pecans and a pat of butter. So delicious!